Edwin Díaz has not had the year many fans expected when the Los Angeles Dodgers signed him, and he went on the injured list for the second time this season on Tuesday.
Díaz spent time on the injured list earlier this year after surgery to remove loose bodies from his elbow. He last pitched on Monday and was placed on the injured list with neck inflammation afterward. He went for an MRI, and Dave Roberts said it came back "clean," per The Los Angeles Times Maddie Lee.
"It was the best case scenario," Roberts told Lee.
It does not sound like Díaz's injury will keep him out through the end of the season. However, even when he is back, he has some things to figure out.
He was the Trevor Hoffman National League Reliever of the Year Award winner last year, but has been far from that type of player this year. He had a 10.50 ERA through seven games to start the year, before going on the injured list for the first time.
After returning, he had a 12.91 ERA. Overall, he has not been a reliable closer for Dave Roberts, but Roberts noted that he does not see a better option in his bullpen. With Díaz on the injured list now, Tanner Scott will take over as the closer.
Scott could take the job with a strong performance and serve as the closer through the postseason.



